Thursday, May 25, 2017

Big Hair (from 2003)

Big hair
x
11/04/03

My niece, Lisa, the beautician was positively gushing with excitement: according to the trendy magazines, big hair is coming back in style, and she could not be happier.  “You don’t understand,” she exclaimed. “Big hair, well, lets just say, the bigger my hair, the more powerful that I feel!”  The young man she was dating could not have known this when he said words that were music to her ear… “. Your hair is just amazing.”  Fortunately for her, her morals are kept in tact, as she would never spend a night with a man, as God forbid they wake up in the middle of the night and see “bed head”.  This is the only girl I know who actually bought a bigger car in order to accommodate the increasing size of her current “doo”. 
When Lisa was in Beauty School, I became her experimental subject.  It was fun to be treated to all of the new styles and colors.  I forgot to check out some of the more teased looks before going out, though.  I had a little public talk that I needed to present at an area college and as I was running late I didn’t check my appearance out too closely as Lisa had done me up that morning.  Maybe, I should have done so however due to the comment of my friend, “Bubba” author Kim Taylor, who said, “something about your hair makes me think you might be a politicians’ wife, and gives me an urge to kiss you on the cheek.”  The event went nicely, though I did feel a little self conscious having grown 6 inches due to heightened hair.  Still, later, I asked my husband James what he thought of my hair, and he said, “Well, it looks like it would hold up good in the wind.”  Thanks, James. 

You know, as self-conscious as I felt in some ways, I did find myself walking a little taller and speaking a little more confidently.  I think Lisa is right, the bigger the hair, the more powerful you do feel.  There might be something to this new trend after all.